The Friends in My Head...

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's question: If you went to high school with your characters, would you be friends?

The short answer of "no" has nothing to do with my characters as people, but everything to do with high school Alicia. If I didn't know you, I was quiet. If you were popular, I sure as hell didn't break the social structure and talk to you unless forced into a project together. If you were lower than me on the social structure, I ignored you.

High School + Alicia = Misanthropic Bitch 

It wasn't until I headed to college that I broke out of that shell and talked to pretty much anyone* and developed friendships with people that I wouldn't have done as a high schooler.


Now that the disclaimer portion of RTW is out of the way...


In FALLING TO NORMAL, Cheyenne's too busy working through her own issues to actively seek friends. The few she has came with her "new in town" package, courtesy of her cousin Joey. The friends he has are similar to a group that I was acquaintances with in high school. It's safe to say I'd be friendly with their circle of friends.


Since PHOENIX RISING is still in it's shiny "I'm-figuring-it-all-out-and-love-it-unconditionally" stage, I can't speak with authority on who I'd be high school friends with. That said, Kyla and Evie** are both super friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I don't think not being their friend would be an option.


Erinn made a good point about characters being different than the people she's friends with. I agree. The majority of my characters - while have some similarities to me or people I know - are so different, that it's hard to say. If they were in real-time, I wouldn't know them as intimately as I do with them on paper and that makes the decision that much harder, but given how well I know each of them and why they behave a certain way, I'd say it would be hard not to friend or chat with them. Again, if this was college Alicia and they were real, I'd totally be friends or friendly with all of them. Yes (to those who've beta'd it), even the queen bitch in FALLING TO NORMAL.


If a fictional character came to life, could you picture yourself being friends with them?

Don't forget to check out what the other participants are saying over at YA Highway.


* Yes, even if I didn't like them. 
** Note to self: a name change might be necessary for sidekick.
______
Last.fm hit of the day: The Rising by Trivium


REMINDER: Music Month is still happening for two more weeks. The best comment of the week gets a mix CD.